Do not give your pet human medications unless instructed by your vet. Some human medication can be harmful and even fatal ie: ibuprofen, paracetamol and immodium. If in doubt, seek professional advice.
Conkers from the Horse Chestnut tree can be poisonous to pets but they are not very palatable so animals rarely eat large quantities of them. As well as being poisonous, they may also become stuck in the intestines, causing a blockage.
Animals will often vomit and may also have muscle spasms or tremors. Vomiting is also the main sign associated with a blockage of the gut and you may also notice a reduction in production of faeces.
Other Poisonous substances
Chocolate: Chocolate contains a compound called theobromine which is part of the xanthine group of compounds, similar to caffeine. Chocolate becomes more toxic the higher the cocoa content, for example the toxic dose of milk chocolate is 9g chocolate per kilo of the dog's weight whereas dark chocolate is nearer 1g chocolate per kilo of dogs weight, meaning they have to eat a smaller amount of dark chocolate before becoming ill.
Antifreeze: Most antifreeze contains a chemical called ethylene glycol, which is very toxic if ingested. Sadly it seems to be palatable to pets and they will lap it up if within reach so store sealed and out of reach of pets. Cats are affected at a lower dose, around 1.5ml ethylene glycol per kilo of bodyweight, Dogs have to ingest around 5ml per kilo bodyweight to become ill. Most solutions for use in cars are more dilute so more needs to be ingested to cause illness but can still be very dangerous.
Mushrooms: Ingestion of wild mushrooms or toadstools can cause a variety of symptoms but not all types are poisonous. They are particularly prevalent in the autumn and in damp conditions.
Batteries: Many childrens toys contain batteries as well as normal household items such as the remote control. Batteries contain corrosive alkaline fluid that can cause burns to the gums, tongue, skin, oesophagus and stomach lining. Dogs are likely to be worse affected as they will chew the battery first enabling the corrosive fluid to leak out. If you think your pet has chewed or swallowed a battery then call your vet. There are medications that can be given to protect the lining of the stomach and intestines and if the battery becomes stuck then surgery may be needed to remove it.
We make every effort to ensure that the information provided on Collielife is accurate and up to date.
However, with the changing nature of medical knowledge we cannot guarantee the accuracy of all of the information provided.
It is not intended to replace the advice of your Veterinary Surgeon and we do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage or injury that occurs from the use of the information given on this site.