COLLIE HEALTH

You can report a suspected adverse reaction or lack of efficacy to a veterinary medicine
- CLICK HERE for more details

 

Do not give your pet human medications unless instructed by your vet. Some human medication can be harmful and even fatal ie: ibuprofen, paracetamol and immodium. If in doubt, seek professional advice.

Horse Manure
RENAL DYSPLASIA
TICKS, HARVEST MITES, SEASONAL CANINE ILLNESS AND LYME DISEASE
VETERGESIC - CARE

Recording CEA and prcd-PRA DNA tests
The Kennel Club would wish to clarify the position with regard to the recording of DNA test results for both prcd-PRA and CEA/CH.

Both these DNA tests carry patents in the UK and most other European countries. The patents are owned by Cornell University in the US, and are licensed exclusively to OptiGen worldwide. They also have non-exclusive licensing of the CL test (for Border Collies) in Europe (and exclusive use of this patent in the USA). It is important to note therefore that the KC will only officially record the DNA results for these diseases if they have been tested by OptiGen (or Genetic Technologies in Australia who have a licence to perform the tests).

Part of the patent includes the advertisement and recording of results and therefore whilst this patent is still in force, the Kennel Club will only be publishing the outcome of Optigen tests. The position the KC has taken stems purely from legal ramifications and has no reason to question the quality and reliability of tests offered by other labs. For clarification, only results of prcd-PRA or CEA/CH DNA tests issued by Optigen will be recorded by the KC, and these results will appear on registration certificates, in the BRS and online via Mate Select.

However, we are aware that other laboratories such as Laboklin and Idexx have made arrangements with Optigen so that if any of their clients want either prcd-PRA or CEA/CH results recorded, these labs will send the DNA to Optigen and they will issue a result / certificate back to laboratory.

 



The benefits of
APPLE CIDER VINEGAR

Conkers Warning............

Conkers from the Horse Chestnut tree can be poisonous to pets but they are not very palatable so animals rarely eat large quantities of them. As well as being poisonous, they may also become stuck in the intestines, causing a blockage.

Animals will often vomit and may also have muscle spasms or tremors. Vomiting is also the main sign associated with a blockage of the gut and you may also notice a reduction in production of faeces.

Read more here.......

Other Poisonous substances

Chocolate: Chocolate contains a compound called theobromine which is part of the xanthine group of compounds, similar to caffeine. Chocolate becomes more toxic the higher the cocoa content, for example the toxic dose of milk chocolate is 9g chocolate per kilo of the dog's weight whereas dark chocolate is nearer 1g chocolate per kilo of dogs weight, meaning they have to eat a smaller amount of dark chocolate before becoming ill.

Antifreeze:  Most antifreeze contains a chemical called ethylene glycol, which is very toxic if ingested. Sadly it seems to be palatable to pets and they will lap it up if within reach so store sealed and out of reach of pets. Cats are affected at a lower dose, around 1.5ml ethylene glycol per kilo of bodyweight, Dogs have to ingest around 5ml per kilo bodyweight to become ill. Most solutions for use in cars are more dilute so more needs to be ingested to cause illness but can still be very dangerous.

Mushrooms: Ingestion of wild mushrooms or toadstools can cause a variety of symptoms but not all types are poisonous. They are particularly prevalent in the autumn and in damp conditions.

Batteries: Many childrens toys contain batteries as well as normal household items such as the remote control. Batteries contain corrosive alkaline fluid that can cause burns to the gums, tongue, skin, oesophagus and stomach lining. Dogs are likely to be worse affected as they will chew the battery first enabling the corrosive fluid to leak out. If you think your pet has chewed or swallowed a battery then call your vet. There are medications that can be given to protect the lining of the stomach and intestines and if the battery becomes stuck then surgery may be needed to remove it.

We make every effort to ensure that the information provided on Collielife is accurate and up to date.
However, with the changing nature of medical knowledge we cannot guarantee the accuracy of all of the information provided.


It is not intended to replace the advice of your Veterinary Surgeon and we do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage or injury that occurs from the use of the information given on this site.